Thailand has some exotic natural beauty coupled with a modern infrastructure that lures travelers to its shores. The country has some great food and cultural heritage as well. As a retiree from the West, you can expect a lot of pleasures if you decide to retreat in Thailand. Retirement can also be financially taxing for many people. In such a situation, you would like to go to a lower cost country. Thailand has many reasons why a Westerner should choose it over others for a retirement destination:
Here are 5 top reasons:
1. Thailand has a lower cost of living as compared to other countries in the region. It is also much more cheaper than many destinations in the West. Rent is much lower in cities such as Chiang Mai where a condo can be rented at $500 a month or even can be bought for $50,000 a month. Entertainment and food is also very cheap in Thailand. You can get over an entire month with spending only $1500 a month.
2. Thai cuisine is delectable and much loved not just in Asia but around the world. If you are in Bangkok, you can savor delicacies at really cheap rates and can also try out the amazing foods of all corners of the world at really low prices. There are some world famous restaurants in Bangkok and in other parts of Thailand that can truly bowl you over.
3. Unlike in the West, where the winters are really harsh and unbearable at times, Thai weather is tropical and really warm. The entire country has wonderful beaches that can truly help lift your spirits at an old age. Scenic beauty and an exotic setting aside, Thailand can keep you warm all year through if you are tired of the cold and snow frequently experienced in the West.
4. Thailand offers amazing opportunities to help you travel the corners of Asia. The country has connectivity with some of the best places in Asia suitable for the travel lover in you. If you are looking to visit Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam,, China and Myanmar, this is the best place to start off.
5. The retirement visas are easily available for US and UK residents over the age of 50. These visas are good for a year and can be renewed without you leaving the country. A proof of income (in case of a retiree the pension is sought for) is required for you if you come on a retirement visa. This level of income has to be over $2100 a month and you need to have a bank account with at least $26,000 when you apply for a Thai retirement visa. As a foreigner too, you can be relaxed amid a steady flow of tourists and expatriates who come into the country every year. Locals are very friendly towards retirees and are known to welcome them with open arms. You can also shop at grocery stores and shops that sell foreign goods and watch American and British television shows quite easily.