If you are in Bangkok, you must be overwhelmed by the amount of things available for the tourists and the shopper. The city is the gateway to South East Asia and has tons of things to do for shoppers. Some of the best and the biggest shopping malls are located in Bangkok. Apart from Dubai and Singapore, Bangkok has the stellar reputation for being the shopper’s paradise in Asia. Nevertheless, things can get a little stupid to say the least. If you go about taking a survey of the various things out on offer on the Thai street, you will be amazed at the number of gimmicks the sellers go to sell objects that are, simply put – frivolous.
Here are a few things that make the silly tag for most shopping lists in Bangkok:
1. If wearing pointed hats with multiple rags stitched to each other makes for an ideal gift for a child then think again. Most kids will find it funny and very exciting, however many adults to carry it back home as a souvenir is outright stupid!
2. A wooden frog on the road may not be swooning or croaking away to glory, but many street shops lined in the Bangkok humdrum sell painted wooden frogs that are cheap and very silly.
3. If you thought you could be a basketball player then this is definitely NOT what you need. A beer Chang vest is often the highest selling piece of men’s clothing on the streets of Bangkok. Many of us are not sure why! A loose fitting singlet often makes sense in a humid country but it isn’t a height of sophistication for an evening dinner or even the pagoda visit. A lot of local touts however have popularized the attire!
4. If you thought Selfies were crazy then think again. The emergence of the tragic Selfie stick has made the former even more respectable that it deserves. Selfie sticks with a mounted space to hoist your camera to click a self-portrait with some background is selling on the Bangkok Street like hot cakes. No matter what your age, you will “stick it right up in the sky”.
5. If you had fallen in love with the friendship bands worn by Leo Caprio in the movie- The Beach, then this might interest you. More than a decade and half later, these wristbands in amazing multi-color hues and hand prints are making a comeback for tourists and locals alike. You may fall for the higher appeal it has to connote a bond of friendship between you and your lover, but these wristbands are frankly very pathetic gifts. Hardly a must buy!
6. If you love kickboxing then this will be of some solace. Being in Thailand will give you many opportunities to watch a kickboxing competition. But to go a mile further and buy some dangly and shiny kickboxing shorts may be going a little overboard. These silky and labelled shorts are all over in the markets of the city and can be really dirt cheap. That is not enough reason why should buy them!