Adjustments in marriage is a tough thing anywhere, more so if you are marrying a person who hails from a different culture. Marrying a Thai woman may be the dream for many expatriate men and foreign nationals, but to be able to keep it strong and going may be a tough thing. This transition may be a lot easier for some, while for many others, it may pose challenges. Here are a few ways in which you can stay in Thailand after marrying a Thai wife and enjoy the life afterward.
1. Imbibe Each Other’s Beliefs: Remember marriage is all about imbibing from each other’s culture and beliefs. Most Thai women who marry foreign nationals adjust to the other’s ways and habits fast. Foreign men love their Thai wives for their docile nature. If you are looking to live in Thailand after marriage, you should be prepared to accept the ways of a country that is uniquely different from yours. It should not be about your Thai wife adjusting to your Western ways, it should also be about you getting to appreciate her culture.
2. Change is the Key: If you are a Westerner, who is adapting to life in Thailand, you should realize that Thai women are the most hospitable and friendly individuals. Most foreigners are not aware of the majestic responsibilities Thai women undertake in the home. They are amazing caretakers and hardworking. As a foreigner, you should look to change for the better and adopt a style that suits both your Thai wife and you.
3. The Parents and Extended Family Have an Important Place in Thai Marriage: Living in a foreign country with a wife that is not from your own culture. Thai women are extremely good partners and understand that life is always about balancing home and work. If you are a Westerner who is on work in Thailand and has decided to stay on because of your partner’s obligations to family. You should keep in mind that most Thai women are homely. They enjoy the comforts of family a lot more than most Western men who are independent and less dependent on their parents. You should respect each other’s boundaries. And work together to build a strong foundation for an inter-racial marriage.
4. Be very categorical about money: Most Thai women, think that Westerners who come over to Thailand have enough money to spend on them for their lives. It must be safely said that no matter how rich or poor you are as a professional, you should be honest about your actual earnings and how much you would really be able to spend on a new marital life in Thailand. Most marriages that are interracial may end up in a divorce if financial matters are not discussed. Let not marriage be the easy ticket out of poverty.
5. Know the boundaries of your inter racial marriage: it is important that you understand that in the Orient, marriage is all about the extended family, regular parental visits and even lavish parties for relatives. If as a Westerner you feel it’s a little invasive on your privacy, speak up and clarify your stand. You also need to harmonize where necessary. This balancing act is must when marrying a Thai wife and settling in Thailand.